Saturday, May 25, 2013

formal paper 2 draft 1


            When was the last time you ever walked into a place were you felt like you didn’t belong or you were a total outsider?  Or a time where you felt like your presence around a certain group of people didn’t feel right? Unfortunately for some of my teammates and I go through this more often than some since we live in a more caucasian dominant area. There’re times were we go into stores and resturants in the community and people instantly stop and look at us like they never seen African Americans before. We sometimes guess to see if they instantly began to judge us base off our looks and appearance, which brings me to my topic about judgment and stereotypes.  In my paper I will attempt to persuade Caucasian American people in my community not to judge other races base off their appearance & stereotypical beliefs.
            Judging someone by their appearance can lowers there self-esteem according to Melanie J.V. Fennell “low self-esteem is a core beliefs, anxious predictions and self criticism that appears to be an reflection of central negative beliefs.”  Being judge in  a negative way can result into lowering ones self-esteem. For example possibly saying or giving the vibe that they doesn’t belong can make them feel unwanted or less important. When doing so they start to feel lesser of themselves and cause their behavior to change negatively in way that they will go out and do things out of character. I know for me when I feel that I’m not welcome or don’t belong in a certain place I tend to leave and be alone. When I was younger I was the type to walk around my household with an attitude towards my siblings or starts fights with them when I felt down about myself. It was an unusual emotion and behavior for me because I was always a happy & full of enjoyment kid, so when I would act this way my parents always know something was wrong.
            In Santa Cruz County population is estimated at 266,776 people in 2012. The percentage of African American is 1.4 percent. The Caucasian American percentage in Santa Cruz is 88.0. This is shown by chart of the US Census Bureau. Based off these statistics shows that theirs rarely any African American people who lives in Santa Cruz, therefore people who live here all year long aren’t used to African Americans. When Caucasians see African Americans they tend to judge base off what they see or hear on television. Television tends to show that some African Americans are Thugs, Rappers, and criminals. For example in the show “Love & HipHop” shows that African American rappers have a thug/Gangster image whose tend to commit crimes behind the scenes. But some truth to it is that theirs some who does but not all. Cast start Rapper Joe Budden whose very intelligent and have a very broad vocabulary isn’t a criminal. He raps about truelife situations that he learned from early on in his life and shares it with his fans so that they wont make the mistakes he did. As for another co-star who is a writer/producer by the name Consquence who is also very smart and family oriented man. He put his wife and son first before his career. His wife of 3 years happens to be a Caucasian female in Queens, NY. This is an example of two people from different race who don’t discriminate based of color or race and are still able to find love for each other to have a kid and be married.

No comments:

Post a Comment